The zzzland Times

Our travel
memories

                                                Venice, Italy                                 

Venice was founded in the 1st century AD by the Venetians seeking shelter from Goth attack. It was a world power from the 12th to the 14th century and controlled the Mediterranean trade until the 17th century. The Grand Canal is the showcase of its history, with nearly every pallazio  bearing the name of a once- grand family.

This city is a unique and one of our favorite.              


St Mark's Campanile is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica. located in the square (piazza) of the same name. It is a recognizable symbol of the city.The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weather vane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. As it stands today, however, the tower is a reconstruction, completed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.   

Saint Mark's Basilica. The cathedral of Venice, is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. The first St Mark's was a temporary building in the Doge's Palace, constructed in 828, when Venetian merchants stole the supposed relics of Saint-Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria.


The carvings on the upper profile of the facade date from the 15th century.

The Doge's Palace  is a palace built in Venetian Gothic style, and one of the main landmarks of the city. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice the supreme authority of the former Republic of Venice, opening as a museum in 1923.

In 810, Doge Agnelio Participazio  moved the seat of government from the island of Malamocco to the area of the present-day Rialto, when it was decided a palatium duci  (Doge Palace in Latin) should be built. However, no trace remains of that 9th-century building as the palace was partially destroyed in the 10th century by a fire.
The following reconstruction works were undertaken at the behest of Doge Sebastiano Ziani  (1172–1178). A great reformer, he would drastically change the entire layout of the St-Mark Square  The new palace was built out of fortresses, one façade to the Piazzetta, the other overlooking the St. Mark's Basin.
Santa Maria della Salute

Built to commemorate the end of the 1630 plague, this monumental Baroque church is one of Venice's most imposing buildings.

Venice stretches across 118 small islands in the marshy Venetian lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy. The saltwater lagoon stretches along the shoreline between the mouths of the Po (south) and the Plave (north) Rivers. The population estimate of 272,000 inhabitants.


The gondola is a traditional Venetian rowing boat. Gondolas were for centuries the chief means of transportation within Venice and still have a role in public transport, serving as ferries over the Grand Canal. Their primary role, however, is to carry tourists on rides at established prices. We did not try one during our stay. It is quite pricey...

The Bridge of Sighs is one of many bridges in Venice. It passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the old prisons to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace It was designed by Antoni Contino and built in 1602.


The view from the Bridge of Sighs was the last view of Venice that convicts saw before their imprisonment. The name "Bridge of Sighs" was reportedly given by the British poet Lord Byron.

Santa Maria della Pietà

The present church was built from 1745-1760 adjacent to the site of an earlier church, and adjacent to the orphanage and hospital, the Ospedale della Pieta
The design was by Giorgio Massari. but its façade remained incomplete, with marble facing rising only a third of the way up the columns. In 1906, it was completed but without the originally projected three statues on the roof.
Only a single simple cross ornaments the centre.
Above the entrance is a large bas-relief representing Charity (1800) by Marsili.

Teatro La Fenice  is one of "the most famous and renowned landmarks in the history of Italian theatre", and in the history of opera as a whole. Especially in the 19th century, La Fenice became the site of many famous operatic premieres at which the works of several of the four major bel canto era composers – Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, Verdi – were performed.


Its name reflects its role in permitting an opera company to "rise from the ashes" despite losing the use of three theatres to fire, the first in 1774 after the city's leading house was destroyed and rebuilt but not opened until 1792; the second fire came in 1836, but rebuilding was completed within a year.

However, the third fire was the result of arson. It destroyed the house in 1996 leaving only the exterior walls, but it was rebuilt and re-opened in November 2004.

Following WWII ? and her 1946 divorce from Max Ernst. Peggy Guggenheim closed teh Art of this Century Gallery in 1947, and returned to Europe; deciding to live in Venice.

In 1948, she was invited to exhibit her collection in the disused Greek Pavilion of the Venice Biennale and eventually established herself in the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni on the Grand Canal.


Her collection became one of the few European collections of modern art to promote a significant amount of works by Americans.

Send to a friend