Hodge (fl. c.1769) was one of Samuel Johnson's cats , immortalized in a characteristically whimsical passage in James Boswell's Life of Johnson
Although there is little known about Hodge, such as his life, his death, or any other information, what is known is Johnson's fondness for his cat, which separated Johnson from the views held by others of the eighteenth century.
We visited the house in late September, 2019. A fascinating place. We then went to have a pint and lunch at the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese- the oldest pub in London (1667), located a few minutes' walk from the house.
Samuel Johnson also frequented this pub.
Original wood floorboards- taken from ships that sailed to North America.
Samuel Johnson was born in 1709 in Lichfield, Staffordshire. The son of a bookseller, he rose to become one of the greatest literary figures of the eighteenth century, most famously compiling A Dictionary of the English Language.
Poverty and illness followed Johnson for much of his life. He contracted scrofula (also known as the King’s Evil) as a baby, which resulted in poor hearing and eyesight and left him noticeably scarred.
Johnson attended the local grammar school in Lichfield and went on to Pembroke College, Oxford. However, he was to leave after just 13 months as his parents could no longer afford the fees.
In 1735, he married a widow, Elizabeth Porter, and set up a school at Edial; it failed within months. With this behind him, Johnson took one of the few remaining pupils - the soon-to-be star of the London stage, David Garrick - and walked to the capital to seek fame and fortune.
Johnson worked as a hack writer for many years, writing and editing articles for Edward Cave’s Gentleman’s Magazine. He received some critical success with his early poem London (1738) and his biography of the wayward poet, Richard Savage (1744) but Johnson’s big opportunity came in 1746 with the commission to write the Dictionary.
Johnson lived in 17 different places in London, but moved to Gough Square in order to work on the Dictionary, which was finally published in 1755.
From then on Johnson’s fame was assured and he was known as 'Dictionary Johnson', although he still suffered some financial difficulty.
The museum is split into three galleries, with the main gallery (housed above the old stables) containing many of the museum's small artifacts, as well as tablets of writing and mummy portraits and cases.
Another gallery contains mainly pottery.
The third is along a stairwell down to an emergency exit.
Some parts of the collection are not lit to protect light-sensitive items, and torches (flashlights) are supplied to see inside the cases.
The collection can be browsed and consulted online.
Fragments and slabs of stelae
The museum was established as a teaching resource for the Department of Egyptian Archaeology and Philology at University College at the same time as the department was established in 1892.
The initial collection was donated by the writer Amelia Edwards.
The first Edwards Professor, William Matthew Flinders Petrie, conducted many important excavations, and in 1913 he sold his collections of Egyptian antiquities to University College, creating the Flinders Petrie Collection of Egyptian Antiquities, and transforming the museum into one of the leading collections outside Egypt.
String of beads, scaraboids, scarabs and scorpian pendant, being 1 of 16 strings found on 1 body.
Place: Gurob (Fayum (governorate) / Egypt)
Period: Dynasty 18
The Museum houses one of the largest archaeological collections in the world for Egypt and Sudan. It is named after William Matthew Flinders Petrie (1853-1942), appointed in 1892 as first UCL Edwards Professor of Egyptian Archaeology and Philology. Over three-quarters of the material comes from excavations directed or funded by Petrie, or from purchases he made for university teaching.
Model wooden boat on wheels. Fragmentary condition..
Its unusual form is based on an Aegean-style type of boat used by Mycenaean Greeks: providing hints about the ancient migration of people and ideas across the Mediterranean to Egypt during the New Kingdom (c. 1550-1069 BC).
Excavated by Sir Flinders Petrie and his team of Egyptian workmen in 1920,
Fragment of painted limestone wall-block with relief hieroglyphic inscription, giving name and epithet of the god Horus amid Shedyt, the place-name written as a tall shrine with bucranium on top.
Place: Hawara (Egypt)
Period: Dynasty 12
Limestone stela, straight top, tapering sides, with sunk relief inscription and depiction showing two men, left facing right, with red colouring of flesh, and woman at right facing left; two lines of hieroglyphs above, and names below, identifying the figures as 'commander of the ruler's crew Res' (centre), 'his brother Nebipu' (left), 'his daughter Henut' (left inscription, not figured), and 'his daughter Senut' (right)
Period: Late Middle Kingdom
Reconstructed bead necklace; faience. 83 bunches of grapes; 47 white petals; 57 red petals; 27 red dates; 30 yellow mandrakes; 13 yellow dates; 43 turquoise pendants; 12 green and blue corn flowers; 23 green palm-leafs. Some beads broken. Eight rows of beads. Conservation revealed a turquoise bead (11th from right) to have a cartouche of Tutankhamun.
Place: Amarna (Egypt)
Period: Late Dynasty 18
The village of Badari is now used to refer to a distinct predynastic civilisation called Badarian. Badarian sites were found by the Egyptian Ali Suefi in 1923 and published by English archaeologists Guy Brunton and Gertrude Caton-Thompson. It is thought to span 4400–4000 BC and is the earliest farming culture in Middle Egypt.
Brunton and Caton-Thompson described this as 'a large double pot burial, in excellent condition, of an adult female'. It is displayed in the position that it was found at North Spur Burial.
The Petrie Museum also displays other items from Badarian civilisation, including black-topped pots and jewellery, that were often buried as funerary goods.
The skeleton was repaired after damage during World War Two, though some material was further damaged in 1985.
In 1995, gynaecologist Mark Broadbent identified the skeleton as male on the basis of pelvis and femur length. He also thought the man was over 6 foot tall.
Hawara Mummy portraits
Petrie named the site after a nearby village Kafr Tuki to distinguish early finds from later material, since the cemetery continued to be used in antiquity.
He excavated a pile of linen from a Dynasty 1 (c. 2800 BC) tomb in 1913.
It was only in 1977, when this linen pile was cleaned by the Victoria and Albert Museum's Textile Conservation Workshop, that the dress was discovered.
It was then carefully conserved, stitched onto Crepeline (a fine silk material used in textile conservation) and mounted so it could be seen the way it was worn in life.
It is one of the oldest garments from Egypt on display in the world.
The dress may have been placed in the tomb deliberately in an 'inside out manner' as a piece of funerary clothing. However, it is hard to make assumptions since the only context was the recovery of a garment amidst a pile of linen.
Linen tunic of a much finer, more transparent weave than to the left, and in a poorer condition. In one piece of material from waist to feet, lapped round and sewn down the edge. Two pieces sewn on which pass over the shoulders, and continue out into long sleeves - one side of bodice and one sleeve completely missing, the other sleeve detached from shoulder. Gap at front and back originally closed by tying with three pairs of string at front, and the same behind. Stains from mummified body, together with extremely narrow width, and over-long length (would have been pleated horizontally in life) indicate exclusively a grave-good.
Place: Deshasheh (Egypt)
Period: Dynasty 5
Linen tunic made in one piece of material from waist to feet, lapped round and sewn down the edge - fringe for letting out? Two pieces sewn on which pass over the shoulders, and continue out into long sleeves. Gap at front and back closed by tying with three pairs of strings at front, and the same behind. Left sleeve complete; right has lower part missing. Fabric has holes in body places. Stains from mummified body, together with extremely narrow width and over long length (would have been pleated horizontally in life) indicate exclusively a grave-good.
Place: Deshasheh (Egypt)
This museum explores the history and design of the British bank notes. It is a small museum, but full of interesting and fascinating items. Well worth a visit, if you're into historical stuff. A few minutes walk from the Bank tube station
With Vidal Sasssoon
Dame Barbara Mary Quant, Mrs Plunket Greene, (born 11 February 1934) is a fashion designer, who is of Welsh heritage.
She became an instrumental figure in the 1960s London-based Mod and youth fashion movements.
She was one of the designers who took credit for the miniskirt and hotpants, and by promoting these and other fun fashions she encouraged young people to dress to please themselves and to treat fashion as a game.