Porvoo is a city situated on the southern coast of Finland approximately 50 kilometres (30 mi) east of Helsinki. The town received its name from a Swedish earth fortress. Porvoo is one of the six medieval towns in Finland, first mentioned as a city in texts from 14th century. A quaint little town.
The old warehouses on the side of the river. Now used as craftwork shops.
The central point of the old town is the medieval, stone and brick Poorvo Cathedral. The cathedral was damaged by fire, started deliberately by vandals, on 29 May 2006: the roof was totally destroyed but the interior is largely intact.
The Cathedral was the site of opening of first Diet of Finland in 1809 where Finland was declared an autonomous Grand Duchy, with the Emperor of Russia as the Grand Duke of Finland
This is the oldest part of the structure dated from 14th century.