Munich is the capital and largest city of the German state of Bavaria, on the banks of Rive Isar. Munich is the 3rd largest city in Germany, after Berlin and Hamburg, with a population of around 1.49 million.
The name of the city is derived from the Old High German term Munichen, meaning "by the monks". It derives from the monks of the benedictine order who ran a monastery at the place that was later to become the Old Town of Munich; hence the monk depicted on the city's coat of arms. Here's their coat of arms of----------------------------------------->
Munich was first mentioned in 1158.
1- We ate a couple of time at the Hofbraukeller. This restaurant-beer garden is frequented by locals and serves some good food. It's located beside the Wiener platz.
Hitler gave some speeches in 1919 in the basement of this restaurant.
2- Wiener Platz and vicinity
In every community in Bavaria and Austria has a huge maypole in the centre of their village. In many places the trees are not only a symbol of tradition, but reflect the crafts of the communities and towns. Craftsmen emblems are being applied at the trees, great to look at and representing the economic strength of the town.
These old preserved Munich houses are occupied by various arts and crafts artists.
3- ISAR RIVER
It is quite likely that the Isar was used as a trade route, even in prehistoric times, to transport wares from the Alps and even Italy towards the Danube with rafts. An existing trade road from Inn Valley across Seefelder Pass into the northern foothills of the alps was built up and called Via Raetia by the Romans.
Following their executions on October 16, 1946, the ashes of the Nazi war criminals Joachim von Ribbentrop, Hans Frank, Wilhelm Keitel, Alfred Jodl, Alfred Rosenberg, Ernst Kaltenbrunner, Wilhelm Frick, Arthur Seyss-Inquart, Fritz Sauckel and Julius Streicher were scattered in the Isar, as were those of Hermann Göring who had committed suicide the previous night.
Surfing! On a stretch of the river known as the Eisbach - a tributary of the Isar which runs directly through the English Garden.
The Hall of Antiquities (Antiquarium), built between 1568-1571 for the antique collection of Duke Albert V (1550?1579) by Wilhelm Egkl and Jacobo Strada, is the largest Renaissance hall north of the Alps
We enjoyed a classical concert at the old court chapel. Mozart performed here. It was a grand place to enjoy a concert. The acoustics were fantastic and you eyes were filled with beauty wherever you looked.
Please see below for more artifacts from the TREASURY collection.
4- Marianplatz and the NEW Town Hall
In the Middle Ages markets and tournaments were held in this city square. Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side. The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments. At the east side Munich's Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located. It's a gothic council hall and ballroom and tower, which have been reconstructed.
Incense filled Saint-Peter's church...If you have a respiratory issues---this church should be avoided.
5- Deutsches Museum
The museum was founded on June 28, 1903, at a meeting of theAssociation of German Engineers (VDI) as an initiative of Oskar von Miller. Its official name is Deutsches Museum von Meisterwerken der Naturwissenschaft und Technik (English: German Museum of Masterpieces of Science and Technology). It is the largest museum in Munich.
The main site of the Deutsches Museum is a small island in the Isar river, which had been used for rafting wood since the Middle Ages. The island did not have any buildings before 1772 because it was regularly flooded.
In 1772 the Isar barracks were built on the island and, after the flooding of 1899, the buildings were rebuilt with flood protection. In 1903 the city council announced that they would donate the island for the newly built Deutsches Museum.
6- St. Johann Nepomuk, better known as the Asam Church built from 1733 to 1746 by the Asam brothers as their private church. Due to resistance of the citizens, the brothers were forced to make the church accessible to the public. The church is considered to be one of the most important buildings of the main representatives of the southern German Late Baroque.
It's over-the-top Roccoco...
The ceiling fresco "Life of Saint Nepomuk" is considered one of the masterpieces by Cosmas Damian Asam.
7- Saint-Peter's church
Before the foundation of Munich as a city in 1158, there had been another church on this site. 8th century monks lived around this church on a hill called Petersbergl. At the end of the 12th century a new church was consecrated, and expanded in shortly before the great fire in 1327, which destroyed the building. After its reconstruction the church was dedicated anew in 1368. In the early 17th century the 92 meter spire received its Renaissance steeple top and a new Baroque Choir was added.
Meaning the castle of the Nymphs. Construction commissioned in1664 and completed in 1826.
Built as a summer residence for the rulers of Bavaria, the Wittelsbach Family, in the baroque style with some redesign in Rococco and Neo classical. King Ludwig II was born here.
Easy to get to by public transit
Beautiful manicured lawns and fountains built originally in the Italian style, then redesigned in the french style and finally in the English style. Parterre there are canals in the French Style, far as the eye can see
Lined with Roman and Greek statues. Plenty of beautiful Swans, graceful and doing their thing, gliding and taking flight, quite entertaining to watch
Lovely restaurant and snack bakery on site, yummy buns and cakes
Reasonable and tasteful gift shop.
Did not visit the residence rooms but plan to on a return trip. Lovely sunny day.
When the food market of the city had grown too large for the central square Marienplatz, King Maximilian I issued a decree in 1807 to have it moved a few metres to the south-east, to the square between Heiliggeist-Kirche and Frauenstraße. Charity buildings that had once belonged to the church were demolished to make way for the market square or "Markplatz", which only much later came to be known as "Viktualienmarkt" or victuals market.
The building that has been known as the Old Town Hall since the nineteenth century was built between 1470 and 1480. Designed by Jörg von Halsbach. This original city hall was created in a Gothic design, which was the popular style of the era.
However, numerous changes were made to the building in the late Renaissance and early Baroque periods (late 1500s, early 1600s). Nearly three hundred years later, in the 1860s, it was reconverted back to its Gothic splendor. Later, in 1877 and again in 1934 two gateways were created to allow traffic to pass through the building.
The Villa Stuck, built in 1898 and established as a museum in 1992 and located in the Munich quarter of Bogenhausen (where our hotel was located--The Munchen palace), is a museum and historic house devoted to the life and work of the painter Franz Stuck. In contrast to the classical architecture of the exterior, Stuck decorated the interior in striking art nouveau style.We really enjoyed this visit.
Our hotel was only 5 minutes away from this apartment buidling.