The zzzland Times

Fake  news
lives here

               Güstrow and Watermunde, Germany

Güstrow was first mentioned in 1228. It is said to be founded by a grandson of Henry the Lion. Güstrow became a summer residence of the dukes of Mecklenburg in the 14th century. After the division of Mecklenburg (1621) it became the capital of the small duchy of Mecklenburg-Güstrow. (Albrecht von Wallenstein, the imperial general in the Thirty Years' War, was a duke of Mecklenburg-Güstrow.)

In 1695 the last duke of Mecklenburg-Güstrow died, and the duchy ceased to exist. Güstrow became a part of the duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.  

 __________________________________________________________

Cathedral of SS. Mary, John the Evangelist and Cecilia (1226-1335, with later additions). Among the most notable features in the interior are the Late Gothic high altar (see below), with panel paintings of scenes from Christ's Passion (c. 1500), the "Güstrower Domapostel" of the Lübeck master C. Berg (c. 1530), a crucifix of around 1370, the epitaph of Duke Ulrich III and his wife and the genealogy of the house of Mecklenburg (by P. Brandin, 1585-99).   

In the north hall is a bronze sculpture by Barlach, "The Floating Man" (originally 1926-27; melted down 1944; re-cast 1952). 

 

The Schloss (German for Castle), built in 1589 in Renaissance style, as a residence for the dukes of Mecklenburg. Between 1963 and 1981 major restoration work was carried out, and a Renaissance garden was added, modelled after descriptions appearing in old engravings.  

Was used to mount horses in Medieval times.  

What's left of the old gate.

Renaissance style garden.

Here's the restaurant where we enjoyed some fine German treats.

 A little pond at the back of the restaurant with some fish...

The Rostock quarter of Warnemunde is located 12 km north of the city centre lies directly on the coast of the Baltic Sea

Founded in about 1200, Warnemünde for centuries has been a mere fishing village with minor importance for the economic and cultural development of the region. In 1323 Warnemünde lost its autonomous status as it was purchased by the city of Rostock in order to safeguard the city’s access to the Baltic Sea. It was not until the 19th century that Warnemünde began to develop into an important sea resort. Today Warnemünde has approximately 8,400 inhabitants.   

  

Send to a friend