The Dresden Frauenkirche survived the firebombing of Dresden during WWII, but was totally burned out and collapsed the next day. It has been reconstructed as a landmark symbol of reconciliation between former warring enemies. The reconstruction of its exterior was completed in 2004, its interior in 2005.
Views from the Frauenkirche tower
Down below... The Elbe and the "Old town".
Where the Viking Schumann was docked in Dresden.
The Fürstenzug — the Saxon sovereigns
The procession of the Dukes
Dresden's famous porcelain mural on the exterior of Residenzschloss palace is a feast for the eyes. The frieze is 102 metres long and 7 metres high, making it the largest porcelain picture in the world. It was first painted in 1876, then transferred onto 25,000 pieces of Meißen porcelain in 1904-1907.
Designed as a memorial to the Wettiner royal family, the mural depicts all the Saxon rulers between 1123-1904.
The Semperoper (Engl: Semper Opera House) or Saxon State Opera Dresden is an opera house and is one of the most famous in the world. It was first built in 1841 in the Early Renaissance style. It had to be rebuilt after a fire destroyed it in 1869.
The Zwinger Palace is a major German landmark.The location was formerly part of the Dresden fortress of which the outer wall is conserved. The name derives from the German word Zwinger (outer ward of a concentric castle); it was for the cannons that were placed between the outer wall and the major wall.
The Royal stables
In December this space is used for one of their Christmas markets.
Dresden just after the 1945 bombing
A Dresden police report written shortly after the attacks stated that the old town and the inner eastern suburbs had been engulfed in a single fire which had destroyed almost 12,000 dwellings including residential barracks. The report also said that the raid had destroyed "24 banks; 26 insurance buildings; 31 stores and retail houses; 6470 shops; 640 warehouses; 256 market halls; 31 large hotels; 26 public houses; 63 administrative buildings; 3 theatres; 18 cinemas; 11 churches; 60 chapels; 50 cultural-historical buildings; 19 hospitals including auxiliary, overflow hospitals, and private clinics; 39 schools; 5 consulates; 1 zoological garden; 1 waterworks, 1 railway facility; 19 postal facilities; 4 tram facilities; 19 ships and barges."
The report also mentioned that the Wehrmacht's main command post in the Taschenberg Palais, 19 military hospitals and a number of less significant military facilities were destroyed. Almost 200 factories were damaged, 136 seriously (including several of the Zeiss Ikon precision optical engineering works), 28 with medium to serious damage, and 35 with light damage.
Being the capital of a state, it had garrisons and military industry for centuries, and World War II was no exception. Dresden was attacked seven times between 1944 and 1945, and was completely captured by the Red Army after German capitulation.
One of several bridges crossing from the old town to the new town.
View from the ELBE of the old town. (Altstadt)
The Elbe is one of the major rivers of Central Europe. It originates in the northwestern Czech Republic before traversing much of Germany and flowing into the North Sea Its total length has been given as 1,091 kilometers or 678 miles.
Cruising down the Elbe
Cruising into Dresden.